On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been swapped out, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Central Air LLC in Brookfield about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the amount of time between expert cleanings.
Above all, arrange annual HVAC maintenance with the experts at Central Air LLC. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Central Air LLC about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Brookfield home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Central Air LLC a call at 203-357-5913.